Predator Package? Nosler Varmageddon AR


I’d called carefully and plaintively, even working a section of rimrock up on a ridge where I’d never before set foot. Nothing came in, so I guess the word was out. My coyotes—of which I have too many—were in their dens quivering, because they knew the end was near.
 Hey, we’ve all seen the ads, and they’re clever. If I were a coyote, I’d be afraid. Very afraid. Because I was carrying Nosler’s Varmageddon AR and ready for all the shots that were never presented.





There’s nothing new about a really accurate AR. It’s a proven action, and if you mate it with a good barrel and feed it well, you can have “varmint level” accuracy. 
Since 1948, when John Nosler created the Partition bullet, the company that bears his name has been known primarily as a bullet manufacturer. However, there’s nothing new about Nosler rifles; the company has been offering limited-run semi-custom bolt actions for several years now. There’s nothing new about loaded Nosler ammunition either; the Nosler Custom line has been in production for some time.



The Third Element
Nosler made the choice easy. From centrally located Bend, they went southwest to find an AR manufacturer. For optics they went northwest, to Beaverton, Ore., home of Leupold. Undoubtedly eager to be part of this Oregon-based varmint conspiracy, Leupold quickly came on board with a Varmageddon edition of its Vari-X III 4.5-14x50mm. Ever since it was introduced, the Leupold 4.5-14X has been one of my favorites. I hunt in the West, and because of heat waves and mirage it isn’t often than I can actually use much more power than 14X.
Then there’s the question of the .223 cartridge. It’s a wonderful varmint load, but it isn’t the fastest .22 centerfire, and it doesn’t carry as well as larger calibers with heavier bullets. So while it’s great under most conditions, it isn’t an extreme-range round. Magnification to 14X does everything most of us need a .223 to do, and the lower settings are just fine for stalking or predator calling in close cover.
Other Loads
We need to address the most obvious issue. The problem with all such systems is that it’s “one rifle, one scope, one load.” What happens if you run out of that load or you switch to a different brand? Or maybe you handload? This is not the end of the world. My experience with Varmageddon ammo is that it’s really good stuff. It is also explosive, intended primarily for small, nonedible varmints. My place in southern Kansas is overrun with armadillos. They’re kinda cute, and out in the woods I leave them alone, but they dig and root constantly, so the truce ends when they come into the yard. I’ve shot several with the polymer-tipped 55-grain Varmageddon load. Armadillos are not large animals, but the bullets do not exit. Internal damage must be horrific, perfect for varmints, but this is not a load I would use for deer. So, if I buy into the Varmageddon scope along with the rifle, am I limited to the Varmageddon load?
Not really. While Varmageddon ammo performs accordingly, it isn’t magic. It’s a 55-grain bullet at a normal 3,100 fps. The turret adjustments are calibrated to that bullet at that velocity, but any 55-grain bullet with a similar Ballistic Coefficient at similar velocity will be close. 
 For long-yardage work, you’ll have to spend some range time to figure out how close. On coyote-size targets it probably won’t matter, but on prairie dogs it might. This is not insurmountable. The Varmageddon rifle has a 5.56 chamber, and the barrel has a 1:8 twist. It will handle all .223/5.56mm loads, and it will stabilize heavier bullets. The cartridge is actually fairly forgiving, and so is the rifle.


Video 1



The Rifle
My first thought was, Here is just another AR. But that was before I shot it. It starts with a stiff, 18-inch barrel, bead-blasted matte gray with a threaded muzzle and thread protector. The handguard is round and relatively small in profile, offering a comfortable grip in a variety of shooting positions. The top of the handguard carries a full rail, and there’s a 3¾-inch rail on the right side. Otherwise the handguard is unadorned except for a conventional sling swivel stud on the bottom (for sling, bipod or both), and there’s a side-mounted fixture for a sling swivel as well. The handguard is free-floated and inletted on sides and bottom for the KeyMod system of accessory mounting.
Moving rearward, the upper receiver has an anti-rotation interface with the handguard, offering a good, solid feel while shooting with the supporting hand on the handguard.
Operation is standard direct-gas impingement, and both upper and lower receivers are mil-spec with brass deflection knob and bolt-assist lever. The upper receiver has an integral Picatinny rail, and the supplied battle sights fold down so as not to interfere with scope mounting. The safety is ambidextrous and has about a 60-degree rotation vice the customary 90 degrees, a “little” feature I found very handy in the field, especially with gloves.
Video 2



Range Results
Every specialized or high-end AR has nuances that one could ramble on and on about, but the real proof is on the range. If the rifle doesn’t shoot, the whole project is meaningless. Right out of the box, however, the Varmageddon proved to be one of the most accurate ARs I’ve ever put on paper. There are more expensive models out there, and I’ve seen some with heavier match-grade barrels that shot a bit better, but not many and not often. I’ve lost count of how many rounds I and my friends and neighbors have run through this rifle (several hundred at least), and there have been no jams or stoppages.
Provided I did my part, this rifle consistently printed ragged one-hole groups at 100 yards. I tend to think it’s pretty much a half-MOA rifle, and this applies to everything I fed it—the list including Black Hills, Hornady, Nosler Match Grade and, of course, its signature Varmageddon load. Accuracy was consistently exceptional with the Varmageddon stuff.
Ready for Coyotes
I have a food plot that allows a 300-yard shot, so I’ve been working that area with a call in hopes I could put the rifle, scope and load through its paces. Prairie dog time is months away, and so far all I’ve been able to do is remove a few unwanted pests.
But I know the Varmageddon package will do its job when Mr. Coyote comes to call (whether I will remains to be seen). The rifle balances extremely well and is a pleasure to carry in the field. I’ve got a pack of several coyotes hunting together and terrorizing my deer, so I’d been hoping to close with a great coyote story. But so far they’re running scared, so we’ll save that for another time.