The Mossberg 464 SPX Tactical Lever Action raises more questions than answers

I’ll admit that I was in the abomination camp when I first saw photos of the 464 SPX.  But I stopped by the Mossberg booth at the SHOT Show and put my hands on the gun.  There, on the massive convention floor, surrounded by thousands of guns, the 464 SPX changed my mind.





The 464 is, most basically, a lever action rifle without the wooden furniture.  Rather than go to great lengths to make the polymer look exactly like the wood it is replacing, Mossberg adopted the tools of the tactical trade.  The forend is covered up in rail.  And the stock, which is made by ATI (who makes all kinds of stocks) is actually adjustable.



Shooting the SPX
Shooting freehand, at 100 yards, we could hammer a 12-inch plate with no effort.  The 6-inch plate required a more steady hand, but was still easily hit.  With the rifle braced in a vice, the groups closed up to right at 3 inches.  That’s reliable accuracy for iron sights.
And it has the potential for doing even better with a decent scope.  This isn’t a target rifle, for sure.  Groups are pointless.  Yes, they measure a rifle’s potential.  Still, I think some shooters place too much emphasis on getting tight groups, and not enough emphasis on being able to hit exactly what they are aiming for.  Once.
The Mossberg will excel at that.  It is ready to roll right out of the box.
All said and done
The MSRP on this version is $535.  Retail should come in below $500.  More versions (one with ZMB in its monicker) are planned.  So stay tuned.
I like the SPX.  The 464 is a solid rifle at a reasonable price.  Shooting the SPX has made me miss my old 94, which I traded long ago.
I know I’ve asked more questions than I’ve answered in this review, but I really feel like the SPX is a curious beast.  I’ll leave you with this.  Would being seen with a Mossberg 464 be the firearms equivalent of getting spotted riding a Moped?